Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spare Change

Recently I decided to clean out our coat closet. Having a ground-level apartment gives us the advantage of a larger coat closet since the closet consists of the entire area underneath the stairs of the apartment above us. I should also mention that having a ground-level apartment also gives us the wonderful background noise of the four children that live above us that scream, run, bounce 7 basketballs at a time, and from what we can gather, throw each other into walls and down the stairs all day and night. But back to the closet. As I was rearranging the several empty boxes that occupy the back of the closet (yes I said empty...Justin refuses to throw away any box that any appliance or electronic device came in), I came across the object that I loathed the most in our apartment--the larger than life plastic Budweiser piggy bank. While we aren't usually ones to carry cash on us, and thus have spare change, I thought that there has to be a better way for two married adults to collect the leftovers from a dollar bill. I scrounged through some boxes from my parent's house and found some empty Ball jars and a great idea came to mind. I dumped out the contents of the ugly Budweiser piggy bank and sorted through the coins, lint, and Chuck E. Cheese tokens, putting quarters in one Ball jar, dimes in another, and so on. I decided to display our makeshift savings account on the kitchen counter and call it our "Next Disney World Vacation Fund."


While we were just at the happiest place on earth six months ago for our honeymoon, we are itching to get back. Going to Disney was the best decision for our honeymoon and we had an amazing time. We hope to make it a family tradition and become that annoying family in the airport that talks about how many times we've been to see Mickey and about the best-kept secrets of Disney while first-time travelers to Disney World look at us like we are insane and need to get a life.

As you can see from above, we need a few more quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies to make our next trip a reality, but we continue to save little by little and keep our spirits up by savoring 30-second Disney commercials on TV and our own videos from our honeymoon, like the one below. Being that it was my first time at Disney, and my first time on the teacups, Justin was sure to make it a memorable one. Next trip I'll remember to not let him have the wheel.


No comments:

Post a Comment